Hey there, friend! Are you tired of buying expensive playdough that is loaded with chemicals and questionable ingredients? Do you want to provide your little ones with a safe and fun sensory experience that won’t break the bank? Well, look no further! I have the perfect solution for you: my all-natural homemade playdough recipe.
First off, let me tell you that making your own playdough is easier than you think. With just a few simple ingredients and some elbow grease, you can have a batch of soft, pliable playdough that will keep your kids entertained for hours.
But why make your own playdough, you ask? Well, for starters, you know exactly what is going into it. No more worrying about harmful chemicals or mysterious additives. Plus, making your own playdough is a fun activity to do with your kids, and it teaches them about the value of creating something from scratch.
So, are you ready to take the leap and make your own playdough? Here’s my tried-and-true recipe!
Gather Your Ingredients
Ingredients You’ll Need
To get started, you’ll need some essential kitchen ingredients. Gather 2 cups of plain white flour, 3/4 cup of salt, 4 teaspoons cream of tartar, 2 tablespoons of cooking oil, 2 cups water, and any food coloring or scents your family would like to add for extra fun. Before starting this project, ensure all the ingredients listed above are ready, as you will be mixing them together quickly. Now let’s get started!
Simple Playdough Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups salt
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups room temperature water
- food coloring optional
- In a medium-sized pot, add the flour, salt, cream of tartar, and oil together.
- In a small bowl, combine the water and food coloring/scent – make sure it is mixed well.
- Over medium heat, gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while stirring constantly.
- Continue stirring until everything is combined and you have a sticky dough-like consistency.
- Once you're happy with the consistency and a ball has formed, turn the dough onto a clean, lightly floured surface. Let it cooly before handling, then knead the dough for about three minutes or until it is smooth and soft.
- (Optional) Once the dough is kneaded, you can add oatmeal, coffee grounds, and sand for textured playdough! Mix until desired color and texture are achieved.
- Store your playdough in an airtight container – it should keep for up to two months, but we've had it last for over a year, even with regular use! Now you and your little ones can get creative with playdough crafts! Have fun!
Making playdough at home with your kids is a fun and easy activity that can be done with ingredients in your kitchen. This simple recipe will provide hours of entertainment for the whole family!